Monday, May 24, 2010

Grilling: I love you.

Thom and I have been grilling a lot lately. A few times a week, I'd say. I am so, so happy that it's spring and almost summer! This is my favorite time of the year. So, I am happy and we are grilling.

Friday, I met my good friends Andrea and Mike at Hollin Farm in Delaplane and we picked strawberries and greens and had a great time! None of us had ever been there before, but I would definitely go again! Andrea picked beets and something else (What did you get, Andrea?) and I picked some Swiss chard and bok choy. It was a beautiful area and really nice people. I'd recommend the place. Right now they also have lettuces, spinach, snow peas, radishes, etc.

I used the rainbow chard twice. Before cooking:
Photobucket

After sauteing, with grilled mushrooms and onions, a BBQed Boca Burger on a whole wheat English muffin, and grilled corn. This is Thom's plate---he likes things to be spicy.
Photobucket

Here's the sauce before thickening. We decided this is the best barbecue sauce that I've made so far. I will post the recipe soon.
Photobucket

And this isn't grilling, but with the rest of the chard I made a tofu quiche the next night. It was based very loosely on this recipe. And it was delicious! It had a good texture and firmed up very well; had chard, mushrooms, onions, and garlic; and was excellent reheated the next day. And Thom has requested I make this again! He thinks that even omnis would like it---I may just try and see.
Photobucket

And, with the strawberries I made a cobbler! Two, in fact. I larger one for my family and a smaller one for Thom and I. I unfortunately only got a picture of the smaller, less-attractive one, but here it is: (Unfortunate picture, but it was extremely delicious!)
Photobucket

Yum! But, I'm supposed to be talking about grilling here. This is more BBQ tofu I made recently. In fact, I think this was my first sauce. It was based loosely on Vegan Dad's Maple Balsamic BBQ sauce. I always thought that recipe looked delicious, but since Thom and I love spicy I added a ton of garlic and chili peppers. It was great, and started me on a long journey of making barbecue sauces.

Here's the tofu basted and cooked, but pre-sauced:
Photobucket

This is what the sauce ended up looking like. It was really spicy, sticky, and good.
Photobucket

And here it is post-sauce and with some corn. It was a mid-week midnight barbecue, so nothing too fancy. Just good food.
Photobucket

And for a more festive, daytime BBQ, we have this:
Photobucket

Doesn't that just make you happy?
We had Boca Burgers with roasted red peppers, soy mayo, soy cheese, I had mustard, Thom had ketchup, lettuce, basil, deliciousness. And curly fries! And Jack Daniels and some juice. Best (early)dinner ever. Thanks Thom! This one was all him.
Photobucket

We also had corn, but we ate that as dessert and I forgot to take a picture. Yum!
I guess that's all for grilling pictures for right now, but I assure you---there will be more to come. Tonight's Monday night dinner, in fact! I can't wait.

4 comments:

  1. Marja ROCKS!!! and Thom is okay too! From a devoted and grateful recipient of the delicious and awesome food that they prepare. So Good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mom. Thom is more than great, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are making me hungry! And I'm full of veggie burgers & potato salad. And soy yogurt (I'm still taking antibiotics from the tooth thing - so - daily yogurt is a must).
    I got just the beets & 2 quarts of strawberries. I've saved a couple of beets for tomorrow - they are unbelievably sweet - but believe it or not, all but about 2 cups of the strawberries are gone just from us eating fruit salad! Should I be embarrassed? We really love strawberries - the final 2 cups are in the freezer and I'll make a smoothie with them soon.
    We had a wonderful time at the farm with you. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really fantastic! Curly Fries are so fun;-)

    ReplyDelete